Charles Byron Bannister 1817 – 1870? was an American ordinary jobbing homeopath in New England, who took homeopathy to ordinary people.
C. B. BANNISTER, homeopathic physician, Eagle; born in Pownal, Bennington Co., Vt., April 6, 1817; after graduating at Union Academy, Bennington, he managed his mother’s farm a few years…
and in 1839, went to Madison Co., N. Y.; began the study of medicine with Dr. Samuel Fuller (and later with L Nash), but, owing to impaired health, gave it up and bought grain for a short time in Fayetteville, N. Y.; returning to his native State, he farmed it there two or three years…
and, in April, 1845, settled in Mukwonago on a farm; resumed his medical studies with Dr. L. Nash and practiced while owning the farm, which he sold in 1866 and, at the request of several residents, settled in Eagle, where he has since resided in active and successful practice.
Married, 1841, Miss Maria W. Lawrence, of Saratoga Co., N. Y., who died June 20, 1878, leaving two children-Charles, who enlisted in February 1865, in the 46th w. V. I., serving until the close of hostilities; he married Miss Esther Morrow, of West Troy, Wis., and has three sons-Harvey, Byron Co and Charles, Jr.; is now a railroad man in Troy Center, Wis.; his only sister, Venora, died Aug. 23, 1878. The Doctor married Miss Mary P. Rowland, of Chester County, Penn., July 9, 1879.
In politics Democratic, he was Superintendent of Schools and Town Commissioner under the old system, besides serving on school boards, juries, etc. Dr. Bannister well represents the energetic type of the pioneers from New England.
Had been for many years a successful practitioner. It was Mr. Bannister’s early desire to practice medicine, but he was overruled by his mother, and persuaded to learn a trade. He essayed blacksmithing ; but, aided by the heels of a vicious colt, soon arrived at the conclusion that his talents lay in some other direction.
He then, for a few months, worked on a farm, after which he attended, first, the common school taught by Dr. Gardiner, and then the Academy at East Bennington. After finishing his course of studies at the latter place, he was for several years engaged in various pursuits, teaching school, farming, trading, etc., but without great pecuniary success.
At last he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Samuel Fuller, of Chittenango, N. Y. ; but indoor confinement and a sedentary life did not agree with him, and he soon left study and went into the grocery business ; and, at about the same time, he married Miss Maria W. Lawrence, of Saratoga county, N. Y.
After spending a little time in the grocery business, and working one season on a farm, he moved to Mukwonago, Wis., where he purchased a farm and worked it until 1856, when his health failing, he taught school.
While teaching, he became acquainted with a homœopathic physician, from whom he derived some knowledge of the system, and then purchased a domestic work and a case of medicines, and commenced practice in a small way.
In 1865, he went to Eagle, and opened an office as a general practitioner, and has met with such success as compensates him for his effort.