The Lowe Surname and Homeopathy

Lowe surnameThe Lowe surname contributed a Dermatologist and Professor of Gastroenterology, some jobbing homeopaths and a president of a school board.

portland boat 1889Joanna Jackson Lowe of Boston, Mass. Homeopathic Physician. Residence, Portland, Oregon 1889

loweJulia L Lowe graduated from the Chicago Homeopathic Medical College and The Harvard Medical College.

Julia was a Dermatologist at The Mary Thompson Hospital and Professor of Gastroenterology at The Harvey Medical College and a Consultant at Womans Charity and Streeter Hospital and attending Physician at The Church Home for Aged People.

Sarah Hackett Stevenson, Julia R. Lowe, Lucy Flower, and Jane Addams were all active members of the Chicago Woman’s Club.

It is apparent that the Chicago women involved in the municipal bath
movement were an integral part of the network of women reformers in
that city
, which was centered in the women’s clubs and settlement
houses.

Sarah Hackett Stevenson, Julia R. Lowe, Lucy Flower, and Jane Addams were all active members of the Chicago Woman’s Club and of the more exclusive Fortnightly Club, as were several members of the Board of Trustees of the Free Bath and Sanitary League.

In March 1892 the league appointed a committee of three women
physicians, Wellington, Sarah Hackett Stevenson, and Julia R. Lowe, to
investigate the need for public baths, assigning each to a different section of the city.

Of the three, Sarah Hackett Stevenson was the most promi­nent…. she was one of Chicago’s leading physicians.

Julia R. Lowe was a graduate of the Chicago Homeopathic Medical College in 1881 and of the Harvey Medical College in 1895 and was therefore both a homeopathic and regular or orthodox physician.

She was a dermatologist on the staff of the Mary Thompson Hospital, profes­sor of gastroenterology at Harvey Medical College, consultant at the Women’s Charity and Streeter Hospital, and attending physician at the Church Home for Aged People.

The third member of the committee, Gertrude Gail Wellington, was a graduate of the New York Medical College and Hospital, a homeopathic institution.

In the 1890s homeopa­thy and regular medicine were converging as medical scientific knowl­edge advanced and the majority of homeopathic physicians moved toward an accommodation with regular practitioners.

In spite of the opposition of the American Medical Association in the 1860s and 1870s, homeopathy had gained recognition and respectability; by 1903 homeo­pathic physicians could become members of the AMA.

It is not surprising to find women physicians as leaders in the public bath movement, for those who supported the entrance of women into the profession expected that they “would become zealous advocates of public health and social morality.”

During the Progressive Era “their visibility in various progressive programs for health reform measured far out of proportion to their actual numbers.” Their concerns ranged from indus­trial medicine to improving health and housing conditions in the slums and involved campaigns against tuberculosis and venereal disease.

The three physicians conducted a strenuous campaign for municipal baths for Chicago. They personally approached many members of the city council, held public meetings, aroused the interest of the press, and received editorial support from the Chicago Tribune, Herald, and Staats-Zeitung.

Jane Addams and the residents of Hull House added their voices to the demand for public baths, citing the fact that in 1892 in a predomi­nantly Italian immigrant slum a third square mile adjacent to Hull House there were only three bathtubs. continue reading:

Pipestone, Minnesota copy stonehenge dedicated 1918Thomas Lowe, Pipestone, Minnesota Homeopath 1918

Hancock countyTyner E. Lowe 1877 –

of Greenfield, one of the best-known physicians in Hancock county, president of the school board of his home city, and otherwise actively identified with the social and cultural movements of that city, is a native Hoosier and has lived in this state all his life, with the exception of the time spent in medical college at St. Louis.

He was born in Hamilton county, Indiana, November 19, 1877, son of John and Elizabeth Jane Lowe, the former of whom, also a native of Indian, was born in Hamilton county on May 24, 1842, and the latter, in Franklin county, Ohio, July 15, 1851.

Doctor Lowe was well equipped by study for the practice of the profession to which he has brought honor during the years of his active practice at Greenfield.

Upon completing the course in the schools of his native county, he taught school for six years and then entered the Homeopathic Medical College at St. Louis, and was graduated with honors from that excellent institution in 1908, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine.

Immediately following his graduation Doctor Lowe opened an office for the practice of his profession at Greenfield, and has ever since been located there, long having been recognized as one of the leading physicians of that part of the state.

Not only has Doctor Lowe given the most studious consideration to the exacting duties of his profession, but he has given thoughtful attention to the social and civic affairs of his home community and has done his part as a good citizen in the promotion of all movements having to do with the advancement of the best interests of the people of Greenfield and of Hancock county, his services as president of the school board of Greenfield having proved of particular value to the community at large.

Doctor Lowe is a Democrat and ever since locating at Greenfield has given close attention to local political affairs. He is a member of the Indiana Institute of Homeopathy and of the American Institute of Homeopathy and has for years taken an active interest in the deliberation of these bodies.

He also is a member of the local lodge of the Knights of Pythias and of the Modern Woodmen of America, and in the affairs of these latter organizations takes a warm interest.

On June 17, 1909, the year following the beginning of his practice in Greenfield, Doctor Lowe was united in marriage to Maybelle Smith, who was born in Jackson township, this county, daughter of Dr. H. B. Smith, and to this union has been born one son, Benton Smith Lowe, born on July 15, 1913.

Mrs. Lowe is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and the doctor is a member of the Primitive Baptist church, both taking a warm interest not only in local church affairs, but in all proper social and cultural activities in their home community, useful laborers in behalf of all measures designed to advance the common welfare hereabout.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *