Andrew Tocher Cunningham 1888? – 1963 MD St Andrews, MB ChB 1909, was an orthodox physician who converted to homeopathy, to become Dudley d’Auvergne Wright‘s successor as ENT Surgeon at the London Homeopathic Hospital, and ENT Surgeon at the Manor House Hospital for thirty five years.
Andrew Tocher Cunningham was a collegue of Edward Back, George Burford, John Henry Clarke, R M Le Hunte Cooper, Octavia Margaret Sophia Lewin, Jesse Dickson Mabon, William Burnett Douglas Miller, L Montague, L C Powele, William Lees Templeton, Harold Fergie Woods, Dudley d’Auvergne Wright, Edward Wynne Thomas, and many others.
Andrew Tocher Cunningham was a colleague of Dudley d’Auvergne Wright at the Hopital de L’Alliance in France in 1914. In March 1915, Cunningham returned to England and joined the RAMC and served with the 1/5 Bedfordshire Regiment in Palestine.
In 1917, Andrew Tocher Cunningham was awarded the Military Cross:
The Battalion War Diary recorded; “3 Aug 1917 – Deir el Belah Notification received of award of Military Cross to Capt. H.S. ARMSTRONG, Capt. C.H. MISKIN &Capt. A.T. CUNNINGHAM for gallantry in connexion with 1st raid on UMBRELLA HILL”….
Captain Cunningham was the RAMC Medical Officer who was attached to the 5th Battalion and earned his MC whilst raiding the Turkish lines on Umbrella Hill on 20th July 1917. Although not technically a member of the 5th Battalion, he was responsible for saving many lives during his assignment, so is well worth the mention amongst those men whom he helped to save.
The Battalion War Diary records: “3 Aug 1917 – Deir el Belah Notification received of award of Military Cross to Capt. H.S. ARMSTRONG, Capt. C.H. MISKIN & Capt. A.T. CUNNINGHAM for gallantry in connexion with 1st raid on UMBRELLA HILL”
Andrew’s MC Gazette, dated 18-10-17 reads: “T./Capt. Andrew Tocher Cunningham, M.B., R.A.M.C.” The citation in the London Gazette, dated 7-3-1918 states; “For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during a raid on the enemy’s lines.
“He worked continually throughout an intense bombardment attending to the wounded at the aid post until they had all been attended to and evacuated. He showed great courage and devotion to duty.”
After his demob, Cunningham engaged in general practice for two years from rooms in Wimpole Street, where he remained in close association with Dudley d’Auvergne Wright, and they ran a consulting practice in Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery.
In 1926, Cunningham was appointed to the Surgical Staff at the Manor House Hospital, and he remained there during WWII, establishing the Manor House Hospital and a surgical institution of the front rank. Andrew Tocher Cunningham worked at the Manor House Hospital for thirty five years, and he retired in 1960 to live at Broughton Ferry, where he died in 1963.
Archie A Cunningham was an American homeopath in 1913.
A L Cunningham was an American homeopath in 1909.