Franz Wurmb 1805 – 1864 was an Austrian orthodox physician who converted to homeopathy to become the founder and six times the President of the Austrian Homeopathic Society, the founder of The Vienna Provers Union, and an editor of the Oestrerreiche Zeitschrift für Homëopathie, and an honorary member of the German Homeopathic Physicians, the Society of the Specific Art of Medicine in Carlsruhe, the Homeopathic medical Society of Paris, the Society of Bavarian Homeopathic Physicians, the Free Society of Homeopathic Physicians in Leipsig, the Society for Physiological Pharmacy in Munich, the Homeopathic Academy of Palermo, the Homeopathic Society of Philadelphia and the British Homeopathic Society.
Wurmb was honoured the length and breadth of Europe, and in America, and his Clinic at the Leopoldstadt Homeopathic Hospital attracted many homeopaths there to study, including Carroll Dunham, Charles Neidhard,
Wurmb was a colleague of was a colleague of Archhorn, Joseph Attomyr, Friedrich Wilhelm Karl Fleischmann, Frohlich, Gaspar, Adolph Heinrich Gerstel, Clemens Hampe, Landersmann, Low, Matthias Marenzeller, Clotar Moriz Mueller, Schaflin, George Schmid, A Schmidt, Schwarz, Tedesko, Viet, Walter, Philipp Anton Watzke, Wurstl, and many others.
Wurmb’s father was involved in the Linen trade, especially in Italy. Educated at the Gymnasium in Kremsmunster, in 1832, Wormb began his studies in medicine at the University of Vienna, he went to Padue at learn Italian, and then back to Vienna where he graduated in 1831.
Wurmb was close friends of Jakob Kolletscha, Skoda and Schuh, and his patron Wierer helped Wurmb become physician to Baron von Sina in Rippolden, so when cholera struck in 1832, he was absent from affected areas.
On his return to Vienna, he became an assistant to Wierer, a relationships destined to failure, as Wurmb rejected the old school of medicine and struck out on his own. Wurmb soon became acquainted with homeopathy, causing a final split with Wierer, and Wurmb threw himself enthusiastically into the study of this new science. and he soon had a flourishing homeopathic practice.
In 1839, Wurmb began to publish, firstly an essay on pneumonia, he then began to edit the Oestrerreiche Zeitschrift für Homëopathie, alongside Clemens Hampe, Philipp Anton Watzke and Friedrich Wilhelm Karl Fleischmann. Wurmb published his essay on Arsenicum, a proving of Sulphur, a proving of Nat mur, a proving of Rhus tox, an article on pleurisy, clinical studies of typhoid, and a great many original articles, cases and remedy provings.
In 1852, he published The Homeopathic Clinical Studies with Caspar, detailing their results from the clinical trials into homeopathy at the Leopoldstadt Homeopathic Hospital, including some his most important lectures, illustrating his astonishing knowledge of homeopathic remedies, techniques and philosophy.
Wurmb then set up the Austrian Homeopathic Society in 1857, the very first such homeopathic society, and the The Vienna Provers Union provided detailed information on the remedies via provings which are still of usr to this day.
Wurmb was awarded honorary membership of the German Homeopathic Physicians, the Society of the Specific Art of Medicine in Carlsruhe, the Homeopathic medical Society of Paris, the Society of Bavarian Homeopathic Physicians, the Free Society of Homeopathic Physicians in leipsig, the Society for Physiological Pharmacy in Munich, the Homeopathic Academy of Palermo, the Homeopathic Society of Philadelphia and the British Homeopathic Society.
Exhausted by his labours and refusing to rest, by 1862, Wurmb was very ill, and he finally listened to his physicians Loewe and Philipp Anton Watzke and accepted a holiday in Ischl, but he soon returned to Vienna and his unrelenting schedules, but his health merely rallied and by 1864, he was dead.
Franz Wurmb’s Obituary is in The American Homeopathic Review in 1866.