Cawdor was a patron of homeopathy, launching in 1909, a National Homeopathic Fund of £50,000 alongside Robert Henryson Caird, Richard Walter Hely Hutchinson 6th Earl of Donoughmore, the Earl of Dysart, Robert Grosvenor 1st Baron Ebury, Sir John Knill, Robert William Perks, John Pakenham Stilwell, and George Wyatt Truscott, which successully raised enough money to renovate the London Homeopathic Hospital.
Cawdor was the Chairman of the British Homeopathic Association, President, Treasurer and Chairman of the London Homeopathic Hospital, and his wife Countess Cawdor was involved in the Ladies Homeopathic Guild.
In 1901, Cawdor obtained permission to open a school of homeopathy with the blessing of Queen Victoria.
Hugh Frederick Vaughan Campbell of Cawdor, 4th Earl Cawdor of Castlemartin was born on 21 June 1870. He was the son of Frederick Archibald Vaughan Campbell, 3rd Earl Cawdor of Cawdor, 3rd Earl Cawdor of Castlemartin and Edith Georgiana Turnor.
He married Joan Emily Mary Thynne, daughter of John Charles Thynne and Mary Elizabeth MacGregor, on 11 June 1898 at Westminster Abbey, Westminster, London, England.
He died on 7 January 1914 at age 43 at Kingston, Surrey, England. He was buried on 10 January 1914 at Cheriton, Pembrokeshire, Wales.
Hugh Frederick Vaughan Campbell of Cawdor, 4th Earl Cawdor of Castlemartin was educated between 1884 and 1889 at Eton College, Eton, Berkshire, England. He matriculated at Christ Church College, Oxford University, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, in 1889. He graduated from Oxford University, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, in 1893 with a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.).
He was styled as Viscount Emlyn between 1898 and 1911. He held the office of Justice of the Peace (J.P.) for Pembrokeshire. He gained the rank of Captain and Honorary Major in the service of the Carmarthshire Artillery. He held the office of Justice of the Peace (J.P.) for Carmarthenshire. He held the office of Deputy Lieutenant (D.L.) of Nairnshire.
He succeeded to the title of 4th Earl Cawdor of Castlemartin, co. Pembroke [U.K., 1827] on 8 February 1911. He succeeded to the title of 4th Viscount Emlyn, of Emlyn, co. Carmarthen [U.K., 1827] on 8 February 1911. He succeeded to the title of 5th Baron Cawdor of Castlemartin, co. Pembroke [G.B., 1796] on 8 February 1911.
Children of Hugh Frederick Vaughan Campbell of Cawdor, 4th Earl Cawdor of Castlemartin and Joan Emily Mary Thynne: Lady Janet Helena Campbell+ b. 2 Mar 1899, d. 2 Nov 1982, John Duncan Vaughan Campbell of Cawdor, 5th Earl Cawdor of Castlemartin+ b. 17 May 1900, d. 1970, Lady Mary Agatha Campbell+ b. 6 Jan 1905, d. 1997, Major Hon. Andrew Charles Campbell b. 26 Oct 1907, d. 11 Apr 1976.
Joan Emily Mary Thynne‘s grandfather Reverend Lord John Thynne 1798 – 1881, was a strident opponent of homeopathy, who in 1844, objected to the appointment of George Newman, who came under attack by allopaths when he was working at the Poor of the Wells Union in Somerset.
Objecting to his homeopathic profession, the allopaths tried to get him prosecuted, as usual. This was one of the first cases in England where such a ‘collision’ between the two disciplines became a National cause celebre.