Georg August Benjamin Schweikert 1774 – 1845 was a German orthodox physician who converted to homeopathy to become the publisher of Newspaper The Homeopathic Science of Cure for Doctors and Lay Homeopaths, the President of the German Homeopathic Central Union of Homeopaths, and one of the founders of the Leipsig Homeopathic Hospital, and also of a homeopathic hospital in Moscow.
Schweikert was a student of of Samuel Hahnemann, and a colleague of Pierre Dufresne, Frantz Hartmann, Carl Haubold, Johan Joseph Wilhelm Lux, Moritz Wilhelm Mueller, Georg August Heinrich Muhlenbein, Friedrich Jakob Rummel, John Ernst Stapf, Johann Theuille, Karl Friedrich Gottfried Trinks, and many others.
Schweikert was especially enthusiastic regarding the project, and even volunteered to take charge of the new Leipsig Homeopathic Hospital without remuneration, and to remove from Grimma to Leipsic for the purpose.
Moritz Wilhelm Mueller was elected director of the hospital for the ensuing year, and with energy and with great influence he commenced to labor for its successful opening….
Schweikert declined the post of director that he had previously wished to take without pay and that he had previously told Moritz Wilhelm Mueller that Samuel Hahnemann wished him (Schweikert) to assume….
(Moritz Wilhelm Mueller was educated at) the University of Wittenberg. It was there that he first met Schweikert, who became a Homeopathist through his influence….
In 1845, Schweikert was the homeopathic physician of a homeopathic hospital in Moscow funded by Prince Leonid Michailowitsch Golyzin,
Georg Schweikert was a Pastor’s son from Ankulum in Zerbst. He was intended for theology, but after attending Bartholomew’s School in Zerbst, and the Cathedral School in Magdeberg, and studying theology in Halle, after his father’s death, he transfered to Jenna to study medicine.
Widowed after 2 years of marriage, Georg moved to the University of Wittenberg on the recommendations of uncle Loder and Christoph Wilhelm von Hufeland, where he became a Lecturer in Obstetrics and began to write. He married again and was made a Magistrate in 1807.
In 1812-13, he became the Director of the French Military Hospital in Wittenberg, but he was far to outspoken about his German nationalism, and the French court martialled him and sentenced him to death. Two days before his scheduled execution, the Prussians captured Wittenberg and released him.
On his release, Georg moved to Grimma where he became Physician to the town. In 1820, he came across homeopathy, and began clinical trials into this new method. In 1824, he put himself under homeopathic treatment, and found this cured an old and persistent abdominal complaint.
Georg wrote subsequently that as an allopath, he had frequently found himself at a patient’s bedside with no idea what to do, but that as a homeopath, he could always do something, and now had many cases where homeopathy had been quite remarkable.
Georg’s Obituary is in The British Journal of Homeopathy in 1847, and in The British and foreign homœopathic medical directory and record in 1853.
Georg submitted cases and articles to various homeopathic publications, and he also wrote Materialien zu einer vergleichenden heilmittellehre zum gebrauch für .. , Zeitung der homöopathischen Heilkunst für Aerzte und Nichtärzte,
Johannes submitted cases and articles to various homeopathic publications, and he also wrote De amaurosi, Die Cholera, eine epidemische Lähmung der Capillaren der Darmschleimhaut und ihrer nerven, Homöopathischer Rathgeber bei Cholera-Erkrankungen,
In 1845, Prince L M Golitsyn opened a homeopathic hospital with 10 (later 20) beds in Moscow. In charge was Dr. Julius Schweikert (1807-1876), who had previously (in 1832) been invited by Count Boris Kurakin to serve as his house physician….
during 14 years some 1000 persons were treated in the in patient unit, whilst some 3,000 patients sought consultation without being hospitalized. 148 of those hospitalized died (7,5%), whilst others recovered or significantly improved….
Carl Bojanus is on record criticising Julius Schwekert for practicing a hybrid homeopathy/allopathy, working as a regular physician at the Widow House (a charitable hospital in Moscow), resulting in … the closure of this hospital in 1860…
Julius submitted cases and articles to various homeopathic publications, and he also wrote Diss. inauguralis Quaestiones de salutari methodi homoeopathicae in morbis curandi effectu exemplis prosperrimi successus confirmato,