Samuel Sugden 1820? – 1887? was a British orthodox pharmacist who converted to homeopathy to become one of the ‘great London merchants‘, and he was on the Medical Council of the Hahnemann Hospital at 39 Bloomsbury Square, on the Management Committee of the London Homeopathic Hospital (retired 1868),
Samuel Sugden practiced in London.
Samuel Sugden was on the Medical Council of the Hahnemann Hospital at 39 Bloomsbury Square alongside William Henry Ashurst, William Thomas Berger, A E Blest, W A Case, James Chapman, John Chapman, Edward Charles Chepmell, Clare, Edward Cronin, Paul Francois Curie, J M Douglas, Robert Ellis Dudgeon, Thomas Engall, John Epps, George Fearon, G H Fletcher, John Fowler, Gill, Joseph Glover, F L R Suss Hahnemann, Robert Hamilton, Joseph Hands, Sydney Hanson, Amos Henriques, Thomas Higgs, JT H Johnstone, Henry Kelsall, Joseph Laurie, Charles Powell Leslie, Henry Victor Malan, John Miller, Augustus Henry Moreton, G P Nichols, Chas Pasley, Paterson, A P Phelps, George Rogers, J Rogers, Mathias Roth, Frederick Sandoz, Phillip Sandoz, W Stephenson, Allan Templeton, Major Tyndale, William Warne, A Wilkinson, James John Garth Wilkinson, David Wilson, S Wilson, George Wyld,
In 1870, Samuel Sugden, a homeopathic chemist, purchased the land of Oakwood Park. He renovated a farm house, calling it Oak Lodge (long since demolished), and added a walled garden and orchard. He also created an igloo shaped ice well in the northwest corner of the park which is still there.
Southgate Council purchased the 64 acres in 1927 and turned it into a park.
Samuel Sugden wrote Homeopathy Disclosed: or a word to the allopaths,
E Percy Sugden, son of Samuel Sugden, married Jessie Arnold in Madison Avenue in 1894.
In 1858, L Sugden was also involved with appointments to the Management Board of the London Homeopathic Hospital.
In 1869, Samuel Sugden was buying land in London, and had to go to court against William Pilley, a tailor, who had gone bankrupt and defaulted on a legal agreement.
In 1834, Rev. Samuel Sugden was a Methodist Minister at Stourbridge,
Samuel Sugden of 19 Drake Street (Rochdale) offered homeopathic remedies in 1873… (?son of Samuel Sugdale)
Henry Kelsall (?-?) Rochdale’s first non conformist Justice of the Peace, proposed an infirmary in Rochdale, with an amendment from Alderman Robinson for a homeopathic ward to be added to the new institution ‘… in recognitition of the strong tradition of this medical practice in the town, because of the increased subscriptions that would accrue as a result, and with people obviously more likely to subscribe to an institution that encompassed their specific medical beliefs… The proposal was seconded by Counsellor Hoyle and a stormy debate ensued in which is became obvious that the orthodox medical profession in the town, as represented by Doctors Elliott, March and Wood, objected, at times quite vitriolically. ‘No connection with quacks’ was one of the phrases used by Dr. Wood, a Medical Officer in the Dispensary, at the prospect of homeopaths practicing in the proposed Infirmary. Nevertheless despite these objections the proposal was carried and a pledge of £3650 [£166,805.00 in today’s money] taken from the various people present…’ However, the course of the proposed homeopathic Rochdale Infirmary became mired in the perennial argument between old and new medicine. In Rochdale, the supporters of homeopathy were primarily non conformists, dissenters and Liberalists, and included John Bright, Benjamin Butterworth, Dr. Cox, Thomas Hahnemann Hayle, Dr. Holland, Edward Miall, George Morris, J K Cheetham, and Joseph Seed amongst many others. The Homeopathic Infirmary in Rochdale was never built as a result of all this upset. (From Helen Kelsall, The Development of Voluntary Medical Institutions in Rochdale 1832-1872), Transactions New Series Number 4, (1994, Rochdale Literary and Scientific Society)).
Samuel Sugden 1892–1950, ?a grandson of Samuel Sugden?,
Samuel Sugden 1892–1950 FRS was an eminent chemist in the first half of the 20th Century. He was born in Leeds on 21 February 1892 and educated at Batley Grammar School and the Royal College of Science.
After war time service with the BEF he was a Research Chemist the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich following which he became a Lecturer, Reader then Professor of Physical chemistry at Birkbeck College.
In 1934 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society and in1937 became Professor of Physical Chemistry at University College, London.
When war returned he joined the newly formed Ministry of Supply but resigned in 1944 to take up a similar post with the United States Air Force Eighth Air Force.
A noted author, he died on 20 October 1950