Henry William Dashwood 5th Baronet 1816 – 1889

Kirtlington ParkSir Henry William Dashwood 5th Baronet 1816 – 1889, a titled family with the family seat in West Wycombe and Kirtlington Park,

In 1866, Henry Dashwood was part of the of the Association for the Trial of Preventative and Curative Treatment in the Cattle Plague by the Homeopathic Method.

In 1866, Henry Dashwood was part of the of the Association for the Trial of Preventative and Curative Treatment in the Cattle Plague by the Homeopathic Method, with William Pitt Amherst 2nd Earl Amherst, Henry Charles FitzRoy Somerset 8th Duke of Beaufort, Ralph Buchan, William Alleyne Cecil Lord Burghley 3rd Marquess of Exeter, George Thomas Keppel 6th Earl of Albemarle, William Coutts Keppel Viscount Bury 7th Earl of Albemarle (the Earl of Albemarle’s son), James Key Caird 1st Baronet, Colonel Challoner, George Grimston Craven 3rd Earl of Craven, C J Dring, Patrick Dudgeon, Robert Grosvenor 1st Baron Ebury, Francis Richard Charteris 10th Earl of Wemyss Lord Elcho, Arthur Algernon Capell 6th Earl of Essex, Richard Grosvenor Earl Grosvenor 2nd Marquess of Westminster, Philip Howard Frere, Edward Kerrison, Henry Charles Keith Petty Fitzmaurice 5th Marquess of Lansdowne, Lord Llanover, Colonel Farnaby Lennard, George Loch, Archibald Keppel MacDonald, Arthur de Vere Capell Viscount Malden, John Villiers Shelley, John Winston Spencer Churchill 7th Duke of Marlborough (Chairman), Frederick Francis Maude, William Miles, James Moore, Charles Gordon Lennox 5th Duke of Richmond, Charles Marsham 3rd Earl of Romney, Sir Anthony Rothschild, John Robert Townshend 1st Earl Sydney, Lt. Colonel Charles Towneley, Augustus Henry Vernon, William Warren Vernon, Arthur Richard Wellesley 2nd Duke of Wellington (1807-1884), William Wells,

In 1866, the Treasury placed rooms at Adelphi Terrace at the disposal of John Winston Spencer Churchill 7th Duke of Marlborough, who was the Chairman of the Association for the Trial of Preventative and Curative Treatment in the Cattle Plague by the Homeopathic Method, based on the research done in Belgium by Edward Hamilton, with John Winston Spencer Churchill 7th Duke of Marlborough overseeing the work of Edward Hamilton, George Lennox Moore, James Moore and Alfred Crosby Pope.

William Coutts Keppel Viscount Bury 7th Earl of Albemarle issued an address or report for the Association for the Trial of Preventative and Curative Treatment in the Cattle Plague by the Homeopathic Method in 1866. Bury reported that the Dutch had experienced such success with homeopathy against that cattle plague, that they had authorised Edward Hamilton to visit Holland to investigate this.

Edward Hamilton discovered that the Dutch had treated 4798 cattle, 1031 were destroyed = 3767 were treated (with a mixture of allopathic and homeopathic treatments), the survival rate for the beasts treated was 45%, and the survival rate for the beasts treated only by homeopathy was 72-5%.

The Dutch Government had agreed to allow E Seutin, a homeopathic chemist, the total control of infected cattle in Matterness, and initially, E Seutin saved 70% of the cattle, though latterly, he had saved 9 out of every 10 beasts brought to him for treatment, and E Seutin’s use of homeoprophylaxic treatment of unifected beasts brought the epidemic under control entirely within four weeks. Matterness was pronounced free from infection and it has remained thus ever since. The remedies used were arsenicum, phosphorus, phos ac, rhus tox and sulphur.

In 1866, George Lennox Moore became involved with Association for the Trial of Preventative and Curative Treatment in the Cattle Plague by the Homeopathic Method, alongside Edward Hamilton and Alfred Crosby Pope, and overseen by John Winston Spencer Churchill 7th Duke of Marlborough.

George Lennox Moore wrote a detailed report on these trials, including a refutation of the falsities published in The Lancet regarding the homeopathic treatment of the cattle plague, attacking William Coutts Keppel Viscount Bury 7th Earl of Albemarle and accusing him of ‘being completely misinformed on this matter‘, and inventing a trail of misleading mistruths about the situation.

The orthodox statistics of this clinical trial revealed 8640 cases, 8% killed, 77% died and 15% recovered, though John Winston Spencer Churchill 7th Duke of Marlborough subsequently issued the interim homeopathic results claiming up to 50% recovery rates with arsenicum, belladonna, phosphorus, rhus tox and turpentine as the main homeopathic remedies used.

The Times wrote an article wishing the homeopaths success in these homeopathic trials, but they also made a pithy comment that the allopaths would probably rather see all the cattle die than have homeopathy proved successfull.

The final report on the homeopathic trials in the treatment of cattle plague was issued by John Winston Spencer Churchill 7th Duke of Marlborough. The orthodox statistics of this clinical trial revealed 8640 cases, 8% killed, 77% died and 15% recovered, though John Winston Spencer Churchill 7th Duke of Marlborough subsequently issued the interim homeopathic results claiming up to 50% recovery rates with arsenicum, belladonna, phosphorus, rhus tox and turpentine as the main homeopathic remedies used.

Of course, the ‘valuable and so far successful’ results of the homeopathic trials so far outstripped orthodox treatments, the homeopathic trials were immediately postponed by ‘orthodox sources’.

Sir Henry William Dashwood, 5th Bt. was born on 17 October 1816. He was the son of Sir George Dashwood, 4th Bt. and Sarah Marianne Rowley. He married Sophia Drinkwater, daughter of John Drinkwater, on 18 September 1845.

He died on 25 January 1889 at age 72. Sir Henry William Dashwood, 5th Bt. held the office of Lord Lieutenant of Oxfordshire. He succeeded to the title of 5th Baronet Dashwood, of Northbrook, Oxfordshire on 22 September 1861.

Children of Sir Henry William Dashwood, 5th Bt. and Sophia Drinkwater: Ellen Lousia Dashwood – 1917; Florence Dashwood1 – 1917; Susan Alice Dashwood – 1922; Mary Sophia Dashwood – 1909; Sir George John Egerton Dashwood, 6th Baronet 1851 – 1933; Henry William Spencer Dashwood 1854 – 1855.

The ownership of Duns Tew (Deddington, Oxfordshire) by the Dashwood family from the early 18th century was marked by several periods of building and renovation of a high standard. Manor Farm, for instance, towards the west end of the village, and Manor House Farm, further east, are tall, unpretentious farmhouses opening directly on the village street.

Daisy Hill Farm, south-east of Manor House Farm, is also of the 18th century, although its stables and outbuildings were much altered when adapted as a holiday centre. Many 18th-century cottages such as the row opposite the village hall, formerly the school, retained their thatched roofs until the later 20th century. (fn. 27) Datestones bear witness to the amount of work carried out in the 1860s by Sir George Dashwood and by Sir Henry William Dashwood.

The principal additions to the village in the 19th century were Priory Court, formerly the vicarage, and the school, dated 1874. (fn. 28) The Old Forge, with stone mullioned windows and dripmoulds in 17th-century fashion, is a notable example of the quality of much 19th-century work in the village….

The present house at Common Barn Farm was originally two cottages, dated hwd 1864, for Sir Henry William Dashwood, and similar cottages, dated gd 1860, for Sir George Dashwood, were built at Lower Farm. The farmhouse at Lower Farm appears to be of the early 19th century and the date 1898 which it bears presumably refers to a rebuilding.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *