Rt Rev Charles Henry Turner Bishop of Islington 1842 – 1923 was an Anglican bishop, Bishop of Islington from 1898 to 1923.
The Bishop of Islington was present when John George Edward Henry Douglas Sutherland Campbell 9th Duke of Argyll laid the Cornerstone of the Henry Tyler Wing of the London Homeopathic Hospital on 30.6.1909, alongside George Wyatt Truscott, Robert William Perks, John Pakenham Stilwell and many others.
John George Edward Henry Douglas Sutherland Campbell 9th Duke of Argyll was received by representatives of the presidents and Vice Presidents, John Pakenham Stilwell (Chairman of the Board of Management), John Galley Blackley (Senior Physician), C T Knox Shaw (Senior Surgeon), Mr E. T. Hall (Architect), the Mayor and Mayoress of Holborn, Robert William Perks and Lady Perks, George Wyatt Truscott, the Bishop of Islington, the Rev. E. C. Bedford, and representatives of the lady Visitors. Ladies’ Guild, and other good friends.
Prayers were offered by the Bishop of Islington, and hymns were sung by the Choir of St. George the Martyr, Queen Square. After the Duke had declared the building open, John Pakenham Stilwell, Chairman of the Board of Management, presented an address, which stated that the Hospital, opened sixty years previously, had become, on a sound financial basis, capable of extended and widespread work among the poor.
The secretary then announced the amount of the Purses presented to the Mayoress of Holborn, which with the donations specially contributed towards the furnishing brought up the Princess’s List to a total of £ 1,090 8s.
Afterwards he was Vicar of St Saviour’s, Fitzroy Square in 1874, transferring to St George in the East, Shadwell five years later. Appointed to be Rural Dean of Stepney in 1897 he ascended to the Episcopate the following year.
He died on 13 July 1923.
The title took its name after Islington, an inner-city district of London, and the only suffragan bishop, who lived at Clapton Common, was simultaneously Rector of St Andrew Undershaft.