John Burgh Crampern 1808 – 1887

Jermyn StreetJohn Burgh Crampern ?1808 – ?1887 was a British Corn Chandler on Jermyn Street, and a coal merchant at Wharf Road, subsequently a Gentleman Merchant, who was a  Steward of the London Homeopathic Hospital, on the Management Committee at the London Homeopathic Hospital, Sub Treasurer to the London Homeopathic Hospital, a Steward of the 1851 Annual Festival in aid of the London Homeopathic Hospital,

John Burgh Crampern and ?his brother John Callis Crampern, was the landlord of William Ewert Gladstone, at 98 Jermyn Street, and an ardent supporter of homeopathy,

In 1832, William Ewert Gladstone, on his first entering Parliament, took rooms over the shop of a corn chandler named Crampern (a relative of one of his Newark constituents),

In 1835 John Burgh Crampern lived at 15 North Audley Street (bankrupt) (John Callis Crampern and John Burgh Crampern, 92 Jermyn Street St James’s, corn chandlers), and in 1846, he is registered as a coal merchant at 24 Wharf Road, City Basin, bankrupt, and also as the recipient of a Dividend, and again in 1846 as a coalman at 6 King’s Street Finsbury, depositing £5760.00 as a subscription for a Railway Subscription Contract to the Parliamentary Private Bill Office, and also in 1846, described as ‘Gentleman‘ he again deposited £1250.00 as a subscription for a Railway Subscription Contract to the Parliamentary Private Bill Office,

In 1860, John Burgh Crampern was and a Clerk to Henry Bateman (timber merchant), of 60, Old Broad Street,

In 1868, John Burgh Crampern was living at 124 Pall Mall,

In 1872, John Burgh Crampern was living in Upper Tooting,

In 1881, ill health prevented John Burgh Crampern from attending his duties at the London Homeopathic Hospital,

Of interest:

John Callis Crampern1858 (in Newark, New Jersey) was a member of the Royal Society of Arts,

John Callis Crampern 1783 was a Clock Maker in Newark, New Jersey,

William Ewert Gladstone was MP for Newark on Trent for 14 years,

Jermyn Street was host to Thomas Henry Huxley, who gave lectures there to working men in the 1850s, the Turkish Baths at 78 Jermyn Street, Epps Thatcher Homeopathic Pharmacy at 60 Jermyn Street, and many other wonders,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *