John George Edward Henry Douglas Sutherland Campbell 9th Duke of Argyll KG, KT, GCMG, GCVO, PC 1845 – 1914, usually better known by the courtesy title Marquess of Lorne, by which he was known before 1900, was a British nobleman and was Governor General of Canada from 1878 to 1883.
The Duke of Argyll laid the Cornerstone of the Henry Tyler Wing of the London Homeopathic Hospital on 30.6.1909. James John Garth Wilkinson was introduced to George John Douglas Campbell 8th Duke of Argyll and his wife Elizabeth Georgiana Leveson Gower in 1851 by his friend Amelia Matilda Murray (Swedenborg Archive Family Register A148a Temple Bar loose leaf Documents and Summary Enclosed English Documents from 1662 (Latin documents begin 1621, letter from James John Garth Wilkinson dated 19th June 1851). Amelia Matilda Murray (1795-1884) ‘…one of Queen’s Victoria’s Maids of Honour, and Extra Women of the Bedchamber; daughter of Lord George Murray, Bishop of Saint David’s…’ ).
Argyll was related to George Granville William Sutherland Leveson Gower 3rd Duke of Sutherland, and a close friend of Frank Shackleton, the brother of Ernest Henry Shackleton (Ernest Henry Shackleton‘s father was a homeopath, and his Antarctic expedition of 1914 to 1916 on the Endurance, and Shackleton’s open boat the James Caird, was funded by James Key Caird 1st Baronet (the chief sponsor and a staunch advocate of homeopathy),
Argyll served under Benjamin Disraeli,
The Duke of Argyll was received by representatives of the presidents and Vice Presidents, John Pakenham Stilwell (Chairman of the Board of Management), John Galley Blackley (Senior Physician), C T Knox Shaw (Senior Surgeon), Mr E. T. Hall (Architect), the Mayor and Mayoress of Holborn, Robert William Perks and Lady Perks, George Wyatt Truscott, Charles Henry Turner Bishop of Islington, the Rev. E. C. Bedford, and representatives of the lady Visitors. Ladies’ Guild, and other good friends.
Prayers were offered by the Bishop of Islington, and hymns were sung by the Choir of St. George the Martyr, Queen Square. After the Duke had declared the building open, John Pakenham Stilwell, Chairman of the Board of Management, presented an address, which stated that the Hospital, opened sixty years previously, had become, on a sound financial basis, capable of extended and widespread work among the poor.
The secretary then announced the amount of the Purses presented to the Mayoress of Holborn, which with the donations specially contributed towards the furnishing brought up the Princess’s List to a total of £ 1,090 8s.
John Campbell was born in London, the eldest son of George, Marquess of Lorne and the former Lady Elizabeth Sutherland Leveson Gower, daughter of George Granville Sutherland Leveson Gower 2nd Duke of Sutherland, and was styled Earl of Campbell from birth…..
Princess Louise Marchioness of Lorne Duchess of Argyll 1848 – 1939, was a close friend of Josephine Elizabeth Butler, the sister of Alfred Duke of Edinburgh, and a relative of Augusta Duchess of Cambridge,
George John Douglas Campbell 1st & 8th Duke of Argyll KG, KT, PC, FRS, FRSE 1823 –1900, styled Marquess of Lorne until 1847, was a Scottish peer, Liberal politician as well as a writer on science, religion, and the politics of the 19th century, and he was a friend of John Stuart Blackie,