James Stratton ?1835 – ?1908 was a British Wholesale grocer in Melksham, the founder of James Stratton and Sons, later Stratton Sons and Mead Ltd, Treasurer of his local Melksham Savings Bank, who was an advocate of homeopathy, and a Member of the Management Committee of the North Wilts Dispensary,
James Stratton was linked to the famous Stratton family of farmers in Devizes:
James Stratton, a saddler and harness-maker, who died in 1809 and has his tombstone in Woodborough churchyard, is claimed as the patriarch of a dynasty which ramified across Wiltshire and beyond during the nineteenth century – to the extent that in farming circles the county was sometimes dubbed ‘Strattonshire’.
His stroke of fortune came, according to family tradition, when, having supported the squire against a bogus claim to the estate, he was entrusted with Woodborough Farm.
Frank Stratton was but one of a highly successful farming family in the county. James Stratton, son of the famous agriculturalist, Richard Stratton, entered farming in the 1860s.
At Salthrop and later at Alton Priors and Alton Barnes, James Stratton concentrated upon dairy farming. In the I870s and 188os, some 55oo acres were converted from arable to pasture and a large dairy herd provided milk for sale to London.
Similarly, William Stratton, farming at Kingston Deverill, was at the forefront of change in the south-west of Wiltshire.
The Strattons were exceptional.
The premises of James Stratton and Sons was demolished in ? to make way for a new Woolworth’s store to be built, Stratton Sons and Mead Ltd closed for business in ?
Richard Stratton held extensive farm lands in Wiltshire, and kept a large herd of cattle, and together with his son James Stratton, he contributed to local Agricultural fairs and won many prizes, including the prize for green fleshed melons in 1893,
Samuel Stratton LCP, Physician at the Fever Hospital in Cork Street Dublin, Professor of Materia Medica and Pharmacy, was an Irish physician who practiced in Dublin, and he was first person to publish an English version of Samuel Hahnemann‘s Organon, writing a preface to this edition in 1832,
Dublin’s Private Medical Schools: Edward Stratton’s class rooms in William Street were well attended by students of pharmacy… lectures on anatomy, physiology and surgery were delivered by Samuel Stratton … The school closed in 1832 on Kirby’s appointment as Professor ….. dissections in an outhouse near Cork Street Fever Hospital, to which … series of lectures here on chemistry, materia medica and pharmacy which …
William Stratton practiced at 41 and a half Granby Street, Leicester, and in Norwich,