Alexander Richard Croucher ?1835 – ?1908, MRCS England 1857, LSA, LN, MD St. Andrews 1858, was an orthodox physician, Member of the Sussex Archaeological Society, Alderman of Hastings, Mayor of Hastings, Magistrate of Hastings, who converted to homeopathy to become a Physician at the Hastings Homeopathic Dispensary, Physician at the Southsea Homeopathic Dispensary, Physician at the Buchanan Homeopathic Hospital, St. Leonard’s on Sea, Member of the British Homeopathic Society,
In 1893, Alex Richard Croucher J P, was elected Mayor of Hastings despite attempts by allopaths to block his election due to his conversion to homeopathy (Willis Alonzo Dewey, Medical Century: The National Journal of Homœopathic Medicine and Surgery, Volume 1, (1893). Page 76).
Alex Richard Croucher practiced at 132 St. George’s Street, London, High Street, Shadwell, and at 108 Terminus Road, Eastbourne in 1872, and in Northampton in 1893, and at 26 Grand Parade, Hastings, and he is listed in James John Garth Wilkinson‘s address book at 3 Iden Villas, 95 South Street, Eastbourne (Swedenborg Archive Address Book of James John Garth Wilkinson ‘Where is it’ dated 1.10.1892).
PRESENTATIONS: Dr. (and) J P Croucher, Ex-Mayor of Hastings, was, on June 1st, presented with an illuminated vote of thanks, passed to him by the Hastings Town Council. The vote of thanks was embodied in a beautifully illuminated address, mounted in a handsome gilt frame….
In 1866, Alex Richard Croucher obtained a patent for ‘communication between passengers and guards travelling on railways‘, and he was responsible for sponsoring electric lighting to replace gas lighting in Hastings,
Alex Richard Croucher attended (Anon, The Homeopathic World, Volume 43, (1908). Page 236) the 2nd International Homeopathic Congress held in London (Anon, The Medical Counselor, Volume 7, (The Michigan State Homeopathic Society, 1883). Page 347) in on 11th-18th July 1881 (Anon, The Homeopathic World, (August 1,1881)) at Aberdeen House, Argyll Street, Regent Street.
Alex Richard Croucher leased a piece of land in Chapel Park Road, Hastings St Mary Magdalen, with the house and buildings called Westholm, in the course of erection in 1882,
Alexander Henry Croucher MD, Mch Edinburgh, FRCS Edinburgh, ?son of Alex Richard Croucher, Physician at the Leaf Homeopathic Cottage Hospital, St Leonards, Hastings in 1911, Physician at the Eastbourne Homeopathic Dispensary, Physician at the Homeopathic Convalescent Home in Eastbourne,