Emily’s grandfather Edward Bulwer Lytton was a patient of homeopaths Frederick Hervey Foster Quin and James Manby Gully, and his wife was also an advocate of homeopathy, giving homeopathic remedies to her own children and to Emily’s children,
….. in the face of parental disapproval, Lady Emily Lytton (1874-1964), third daughter of Edward Bulwer Lytton, a former Viceroy of India, married Edwin Lutyens on 4 August 1897 at Knebworth, Hertfordshire.
They had five children but the union was largely unsatisfactory, practically from the start. The Lutyens’ marriage quickly deteriorated, with Lady Emily turning her interest to theosophy, Eastern religions and a fascination – emotional and philosophical – with Jiddu Krishnamurti.
The couple’s daughter Elisabeth Lutyens became a well known composer; another daughter, Mary Lutyens, became a writer known for her books about Jiddu Krishnamurti. A grandson was Nicholas Ridley, cabinet minister under Margaret Thatcher.
- Barbara Lutyens (b. 1898) married 10 May 1920 (as his 2nd wife) Capt. Rt. Hon. (David) Euan Wallace, M.C., M.P. (1892-1941). (Euan Wallace was first married 1913-1919 to Lady Idina Sackville, and had two sons by her). Barbara’s third and only surviving son was Billy Wallace (b. 1927), a former escort of Princess Margaret. Barbara Lutyens married 2ndly in 1945 Lt. Cmdr. Herbert Agar, USNR.
- Robert Lutyens (1901-1971/1972), an architect with his father; he was also an interior designer, journalist, and writer. He married twice and had a son by his first marriage and a daughter Candia, a furniture maker, by his second marriage.
- Ursula (1904-1967) married 1924 the 3rd Viscount Ridley, by whom issue including Matthew Ridley, 4th Viscount Ridley (b. 1925) and his brother Nicholas Ridley, Baron Ridley of Liddesdale (1929-1993), and a daughter.
- Agnes Elisabeth Lutyens (1906-1983); twice married, and had issue, one son and twin daughters by her first husband. By her second husband Edward Clark, she had a son born before marriage.
- Edith Mary Lutyens (1908-1999); a stockbroker Anthony Rupert Herbert Franklin Sewell. They had issue, one daughter. She married 2ndly 1945 the art historian and royal furrier J.G. Links (d. 1997).