John William Hayward ?1833 – ?1918 MD, MRCS, LSA, was a British orthodox physician who converted to homeopathy, to become a Surgeon at the Liverpool Homeopathic Dispensary, President of The Liverpool Medico Chirurgical Society, member of the British Homeopathic Society.
John William Hayward was a Secretary (Anon, The Homeopathic World, Volume 43, (1908). Page 236) of the 2nd International Homeopathic Congress held in London (Anon, The Medical Counselor, Volume 7, (The Michigan State Homeopathic Society, 1883). Page 347) in on 11th-18th July 1881 (Anon, The Homeopathic World, (August 1,1881)) at Aberdeen House, Argyll Street, Regent Street.
John William Hayward lived at Vernon House, Liverpool. John William Hayward and John James Drysdale wrote Heating and Comfort in House Building (John James Drysdale, John Williams Hayward, Health and Comfort in House Building: Or, Ventilation with Warm Air by Self-acting Suction Power; with Review of the Mode of Calculating the Draught in Hot-air Flues; and with Some Actual Experiments, (E. & F.N. Spon, 1890)), wherein they regarded physicians as primary agents for change (Annmarie Adams, Architecture in the Family Way: Doctors, Houses, and Women, 1870-1900, (McGill-Queen’s Press – MQUP, 1 Mar 2001). Multiple pages) in health, and many medical specialisations followed their lead.
John William Hayward and John James Drysdale explained that healthy houses were to be likened to healthy bodies and healthy living, indeed, they were ‘overlapping systems‘, the houses were built and their designs were presented to the Architectural Society in Liverpool, claiming that living in such houses dramatically improved the health of the occupants.
John William Hayward and John James Drysdale explained that as doctors, they saw the inside of many homes, and they criticised architects for placing their emphasis on aesthetics and not on health. John William Hayward and John James Drysdale were active in the Domestic Sanitation Movement, and John Wiliam Hayward also went on to contribute to the design of the Liverpool Hahnemann Homeopathic Hospital, the first hospital in the country to contain early hydraulic lifts and an innovative heating and ventilation system.
With very grateful thanks to Peter de Figueiredo Historic Buildings Advisor at http://www.defigueiredo.co.uk/ for supplying the following information: See Peter de Figuiredo, The Octagon Building 117 Grove Street, Liverpool Heritage Statement, May 2012. See also Robert Ainsworth, Graham Jones, In the Footsteps of Peter Ellis: Architect of Oriel Chambers and 16 Cook Street, Liverpool, (Liverpool History Society, 2013). Pages 189, 190, 192, 200, 201, 202. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Ellis_(architect) Peter Ellis (1805-1884) worked with the Drysdales in the design of the Hardman Street Homeopathic Dispensary, opened in 1860 – ‘… Peter Ellis was a keen supporter of homeopathic medicine and his death certificate was signed by John James Drysdale, the dispensary’s leading physician…’
The archives of the Hahnemann Homeopathic Hospital on Hope Street and for the Homeopathic Dispensary on Hardman Street are specified within Ainsworth and Jones, who give J J Drysdales address as 44 Rodney Street where the inaugural meeting was held on 6.5.1857, and detail the 1st few meetings to set these two institutions running at Dr. Roche’s House at 79 Canning Street (3rd meeting) and Dr. Stoke’s house at 13 Bedford Street North (6th meeting).
Ainsworth and Jones also detail (at the 15th meeting) the decision to charge a subscription of 1 guinea (10/6d for country members) to fund a medical library and museum collection of specimens at Hardman Street. This meeting also elected to fine non attenders to meetings, and Dr. Hayward was indeed fined 2/6d for non attendance on 4.12.1861! The meeting of 5.2.1862 set the fees at 1d for each prescription,and 1 shilling, or half a crown for visits, thus we can see that the non attenders fees paid for one patient to be seen free of charge for one month!
Large donations were also gratefully received, as the one from Henry Tate (of Tate and Lyle sugar fame) of £25 (£1079 in 2005 money), who would later fund the Hahnemann Homeopathic Hospital in Hope Street. Opposite the door of the Hardmann Street dispensary (entrance in Baltimore Street), Peter Ellis erected a ‘… heroic sized statue... standing upon a massive pedestal of polished Aberdeen Granite…’ of Samuel Hahnemann, and he donated £20 at the outset of the project.
In the report for 1884, it was recorded that the Hardmann Homeopathic Dispensary had seen 27,646 indoor attendances and 12,628 outdoor attendances and even more patients were seen at the Roscommon Street Dispensary in Everton. In 1884, the Homeopathic annual general meetings were of such importance they were held in the Town Hall with the Lord Mayor in the Chair. The Lord Mayor also donated £10 at this meeting and gave a speech in support of the Dispensary, received by frequent outbursts of ‘hear, hear!’
This was all in the teeth of opposition from local allopaths (reported in the Liverpool Mercury, 26 November 1860) which led to frequent heated exchanges between the proponents of the old medicine and John William Hayward. The Hardman Street Homeopathic Dispensary was demolished and replaced by the Hahnemann Homeopathic Hospital in 1887.
The Octagon Building 117 Grove Street, was the home of John Williams Hayward (John James Drysdale’s partner and professional Colleague) in 1867 and designed by Peter Ellis. Peter De Figueiredo’s excellent Heritage Statement of this remarkable building details the astonishing modernity and innovation of a domestic building which contained a clever air management and heating system and ventilated air spaces and pierced cornices. These intelligent ideas were later to be put to good use when the Hahnemann Homeopathic Hospital in Hope Street was built in 1887.
John William Hayward wrote The African Trade Section of the Incorporated Chamber of Commerce of Liverpool: homeopathic treatment for the malalarial fevers of West Africa, Homeopathy and Malarial Diseases, Homeopathic Hospitals and Dispensaries, The Cachexia of Young Children, Cases from Practice, A Case of Porrigo and Dropsy following Vaccination, Taking Cold, The Vale of Conway Spa,Allopathy and homeopathy contrasted. Medicine: its origin and early history, Allopathy and homeopathy contrasted. Part II. Origin and early history of allopathy, Allopathy and Homeopathy Contrasted Part III. The old and the new systems of medicine contrasted, Heating and Comfort in House Building with John James Drysdale, The essentials of a convenient, confortable and healthy house, Supplement to Health and comfort in house building, The construction of hospitals: for consumption and other infectious diseases, Ventilation, extracts from a paper on ‘hospital construction’, Crotalus (Rattlesnake), Recent pathology, in its bearings on scientific therapeutics, Deafness; its causes, prevention, and cure, How to learn drug pathogenesy, Materia Medica Physiological and Applied, Two Cases of Scalatina Maligna, and he widely contributed articles to various homeopathic publications and to The Lancet,
Charles Hayward surgeon to the Ear, Nose and Throat department at the Hahnemann Hospital, Liverpool, UK, delivered a paper to the British Homeopathic Society in 1911 relating the use of ionization in the administering of the homeopathic drug.
By placing a dilute drug solution soaked pad on the skin and passing a current through it infinitesimal portions of the medicines were passed into the minutest cells in the body directly.
Hayward claimed a one per cent solution of cocaine passed into the tissues in this way produced anaesthesia far beyond that attainable by hypodermic injection of even a maximum dose.